I just read an article called “Ten Reasons Why Summer is Good for You.” The number one reason is that it reduces the chance of heart attacks. It seems that you are less likely to die of a heart attack in the summer than in the winter. Second on the list is that people eat more fruit in the summer. So far, so good, but seriously, are there some productive and life enriching ways to make the most of the summer months? Here’s my top 7:
1. Turn off the TV and read. There are so many good things to read and improve your mind and spirit.
2. Go for walks in the evening around your neighborhood or a nearby park. You may actually meet your neighbors and learn something new about them.
3. Find someone who needs help with a project or a need they can’t manage alone.
4. Walk on a beach. If you are fortunate enough to have a beach vacation, don’t miss the opportunity this part of nature has to offer you, especially if you walk alone in the less active part of the day.
5. Eat healthier. Let the fruits and vegetables that are now in season improve your diet. Physical health is a part of spiritual health.
6. Take your vacation time. If you are prone to long hours in a stressful job, summer is a good time to refresh yourself and reorder your priorities. This is also a part of spiritual health.
7. Rest. God made the world in six days and then rested on the seventh. So should you! A busy, weary mind and body do not foster spiritual growth, discernment or inner peace.
Make time for God, yourself and your family and friends and have a great summer!